Re: [Harp-L] stage mic...preferred....

I've been using a Shure 545SD for years in nightclub performance -- both for (acoustic style) harp and for vocals.

See: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/classic/545SD-classic-unidyne-instrument-microphone

From what I've been told the main difference between it and a 57 is in that the 57 uses an aluminum voice coil, and the 545 has a copper voice coil. Dunno if that's true or not, or why it matters exactly, but to my ears the 545 sounds better than the 57 or 58. Also has an off/on switch which comes in mighty handy. Sturdy, rugged, good sounding and reasonably priced... my kinda day-to-day mic.

(Of course recording sessions and/or large festival settings would be another can of worms entirely...)

cheers,
Tom Ball
Santa Babs CA
http://www.tomball.us