Re: [Harp-L] stage mic...preferred....

In addition, the unique feature of Sure 545SD is built in impedance transformer - you just unscrew the mic output connector and rewire - very simple procedure (1-2 min) - consult the user's manual or specs chart. In fine, you end up with two options - low impedance for vocals and high impedance for distorted chicago style (high impedance best fits the guitar amps). My sound engineer friends always get surprised about the features described and ask me to borrow this mic to try in different setups.

Alex

Help save paper! Do you really need to print this email?
>>> Tom Ball <havaball@xxxxxxx> 08/06/2011 04:06 >>>
I've been using a Shure 545SD for years in nightclub performance --
both for (acoustic style) harp and for vocals.

See:
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/classic/545SD-classic-unidyne-instrument-microphone

 From what I've been told the main difference between it and a 57 is
in that the 57 uses an aluminum voice coil, and the 545 has a copper
voice coil. Dunno if that's true or not, or why it matters exactly,
but to my ears the 545 sounds better than the 57 or 58. Also has an
off/on switch which comes in mighty handy. Sturdy, rugged, good
sounding and reasonably priced... my kinda day-to-day mic.

(Of course recording sessions and/or large festival settings would be
another can of worms entirely...)

cheers,
Tom Ball
Santa Babs CA
http://www.tomball.us

This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient(s) does not in any way waive privilege or confidentiality.
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to whom or which it is addressed.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited.
The sender accepts no liability for the proper transmission of this communication or for any delay in its receipt.