[Harp-L] Customized Shure SM57 review

It was either in a photo or video that I saw images of Butterfield's band using what looked like pistol grip
SM57's. They were not satin chrome like the 545's. They had the grey finish and head of a SM57 only in pistol grip design.

I've come to prefer the SM57 over my 545 because of the higher gain before feedback ability.

I went searching on ebay for a pistol grip 57 and found something else.

Granelli Audio Labs is adding an elbow between the 2 sections of the SM57 so the mic ends up an inverted L shape. It was designed to use on drums
so the mic cable is less obtrusive around the cymbals.

With the addition of the Heumann volume pot to my SM57 it gets to be pretty long. I could have had my mic cut down but I like the balance
of an pistol shaped mic with the cable coming straight down rather then out. The new mic I can either use like a 545 or tuck the extended wand between by arm and chest when playing. Basically playing down into the mic rather then straight out.

I ordered one direct from the maker. There is a guy selling one on ebay at list price and is asking around $57 to ship it from Mesa AZ. The maker only charges $13 to ship out of Baltimore. Unless you live near Mesa and you can pick it up buy from the maker.

The main reason I bought it was that their ad states that the mic has lost non of its characteristics due to the addition of the elbow. They said they sent the mic to an indie lab and Shure to test it. They should have sent it to a harp player.

Depending on whether or not you like the characteristics of the proximity effect you may or may not like this mic. The result is that there is a noticeable loss of the effect plus signal strength compared to my other SM57. Maybe about a 15+% loss in the honking tone of a stock SM57 which is comparable to a hot bullet element.

I tried the mic with my Avenger and custom 1948 tweed. The mic has moved from being bottom heavy toward somewhat mid centric so you have to boost your bass a little to bring up the missing bottom end. Some of the crunch is missing also. I used both mics at a jam last night plugged into a reissue Deluxe Reverb. The 2 mics were noticeably different in output and tone.

In the end I decided to keep the mic and use it to it's advantage. Low tuned harps get too muddy with the stock 57. Perhaps doing a quick switch of mics will remedy it.
High tuned harps are too shrill at times. The low output of the stock 57 adds some crunch and adds some weight to the high tones and makes them easier to listen to.
When playing chromatic I prefer a mic more mid centric balanced then bottom heavy so it will come in handy in those situations.

When using the Heumann vol. pot with the mic the knob ends up facing out. I was able to quickly remedy it by slightly unscrewing the bottom half of the mic until the knob was facing me. I then used electrical tape to secure the position.

The company sells just the elbow and instructions on how to rewire your mic if you want to use your favorite SM57 rather then buying one from them.

You can check out the mic and the reviews on it at www.granelliaudiolabs.com

Michael Easton
www.harmonicarepair.com