[Harp-L] shameless self-promotion

I wrote a press release on myself, and the local paper printed it this week!

How to write your own press release? Not rocket science. You don't
have to be a fancy writer at all. I Googled a couple of format
samples. Use the inverted pyramid: important nuggets first, decreasing
importance as you go into the paragraphs. Add some quotes. offer a
couple of head-shots.
http://www.publicityinsider.com/release.asp  and
http://www.mediacollege.com/journalism/press-release/format.html
(Need help, just ask off list)

Here's the deal: the local editors are hungry for local stories. And
there's a trend for "citizen journalism."  See this article by the
editor I contacted:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/gilbert/articles/0129gr-paulcol0130.html

So when it arrives in nearly perfect format, it's a benefit (time and
money) for them to use it. (YMMV) Last time I did this, they sent a
photographer to my home during a lesson. But those were better days in
our economy.

Three phone calls came in that day:
1. local student signed up for a month's lessons prepaid
2. Senior center asked for a one-hour show and sing-along for 200
residents mid-day
3. distance learning website inquired about converting my private
music lessons to online delivery

Not bad for expecting nothing but a little friends-and-family vanity.

Now, go write YOUR glowing press release!

Stay well
Play well

Robert Hale is the DUKE of WAIL
Distance Learning via Webcam