[Harp-L] reed replacement - diatonic

Robert wrote:
So far, I'm aware of these 5 ways to attach the donor reed: 1. original rivet;   2. new rivet;   3. bolt through reed and plate + nut;  4. threaded bolt tapped into plate;
5. threaded  bolt into tapped plate + locked with nut.   Aside from cost of tools, and number of steps, what works and why?

It was a few years ago when i read it on his site, but Pat Missin said that using the old rivet is, for him, the quickest way.  That's the way I've always done it on my own harps.  But I just rec'd a repaired harp from harp customizer extraordinaire, Joe Spiers, and he used a screw tapped into the plate.  My assumption is that with a high quality harp like Joe makes (a harp u keep for a lifetime, not a throwaway), a screw may be the best way since not only do u not compromise/damage the hole in the plate (tho if u do, i suppose u can always use the screw and nut method), but with a tapped screw, the next time the reed needs to be replaced, it's a clean and fast way to do the repair.   If u use a nut, then want to attach a valve to the reed, a nut may get in the way a bit, tho from what i've read here on Harp-L, I think the end of the valve can be cut so that it fits around the nut.  Never done it.
Ron - FL Keys