Re: [Harp-L] harp hardware

IF you honestly seek information, your question is not stupid.

The short answer is "No".

The long answer follows:

There are three common types of microphones used with harmonicas:

1. Crystal or ceramic in which the elements generate a voltage when squeezed by the pressure of the sound wave.  They do not employ magnetism.

2. Capacitance or electret mics in which the movement of an electrostatically charged diaphragm changes the voltage across a capacitor of which the diaphragm is a part.  They do not employ magnetism.

3. A dynamic mic in which the voltage in a coil of wire changes as a magnetic diaphragm changes the reluctance of a magnetic circuit passing across the space between the diaphragm and a magnet.  This type of mic does employ magnetism but there are several reasons why magnetic nuts and bolts will not affect it.
 	3.1 The magnet in the mic is many times larger and stronger than magnetized nuts and bolts.
	3.2 The magnetic circuit of the mic is closed and designed to be unaffected by external magnetic fields.
	3.3 The mic's coil of wire will respond only to CHANGES in the strength of a magnetic field but not to the constant tiny level of 				magnetism that would come from the nuts and bolts.

In summary, there is no reason to believe that any mic would be affected by magnetized nuts and bolts in the harmonica.

Vern