[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 93, Issue 9 - What Key?

I have always enjoyed the live recording of "Little" Stevie Wonder as he was then playing Fingertips (I think it is) as he starts up you can clearly hear someone saying "What key? What key?" Other musicians can find guessing the harp key disorienting cos there is nothing to see and no natural key signature to a collection of harps in many keys. Now Sonny Boy 1st played in G almost all the time on his C harp so there wasn't an issue...
 I deliberately practice finding the key of songs (for me the key is what harp I should play in what position) by playing along with anything that takes my fancy on the ipod in the privacy of my own kitchen. I can usually guess live although it is better to be told. On the other hand sometimes musicians call the wrong key because they don't understand the harmonic structure of the song. Also sometimes harp sounds better in a key or should I say position other than the official one. I particularly like playing minor using major 2nd position. This probably works often because the minor can be ambiguous in much jazz and blues.  All this  is about improvising with an unfamiliar song.
 What about a tune you have learned in a different key to that being played? Well if you sound too high or low choose another harp. It is a good idea when in doubt to play along quietly at first so only you can hear and adjust as you will. If by stonking solo time you haven't got it, then don't pick it up, or go for it in the "wrong" key as Dylan sometimes used to. Stick close to the melody and playing it in a different key can sound like you are harmonising not bluffing.  Remember in jamming situations a few accidentals on the harp are not the main thing that can spoil the music! Everyone playing too hard and tired riff god cliches will be much more of a problem.
 Richard
Richard Hammersley
Grantshouse
Scottish Borders