Re: [Harp-L] What's a "key"?

In terms of standards and blues, 99.9% of the time, the tunes that resolved
to either AM7 or A7 will be notated in A major (3 #'s); tunes resolving to
Am7 are notated in A minor (no #'s or b's).

Blues or modal tunes get shoehorned into either major or minor and use
accidentals where needed.

Very occasionally I've seen a change of key signature in a song (like Body
and Soul) that modulates to a distant key but usually modulations are
handled by accidentals.

It might be a fun intellectual exercise to challenge the idea of key, but,
unless they're playing atonal music, musicians think in terms of keys and
tonalities.

--
Arthur Jennings
http://www.timeistight.com