Re: [Harp-L] Just what exactly is 'key'?

On May 9, 2011, at 1:25 PM, sheltraw@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi SmoeJoe

Hi Dan, whaaaaaazz up?    :)

> What if you already speak the language and you see it's ambiguity causing
> miscommunication and anxiety?
>
> Cheers!

Ya know you have a good point there. I gotta give it to you. Very thought provoking. As irony would have it, I just got a call from Citibank. The woman at the other end was speaking English, but I didn't understand her. Now, as it were, I was always under the impression that I spoke..if not 'the Queen's English', at least a mongrel combination of Staten Islandeese, Pittsburgheese, and the myriad of other places I lived as I went to 11 grade schools, 3 high schools, a trade school and a Jr. college. Apparently I was wrong.

Zo, I made the mistake of asking the girl if she was from Sri Lanka or somewhere because I couldn't understand her. She was quick to snap at me as she assured me that she was AMERICAN and calling from (somewhere in) Alabama. Woaaa, I felt bad, so I tried to get out of it gracefully and as my damage control I used the ole: "We must have a bad connection..you're clipping, and THAT's why I can't understand you..so I thought you were far far away"...as I gently hung up.

So, yes. I believe you are correct. Sometimes we try to explain things and somewhere along the line, a disconnect occurs. My theory is that this is how the world gets messed up.

Joey