Re: [Harp-L] Just what exactly is 'key'?

Hi
I have followed this discussion with interest. I think that the question has been answered fully, all-be-it in a near confusing number of ways.

On the simplest of functional descriptions, you can tell when you and other players are sharing a key because the sounds that you collectively make will all 'fit' together.

When you look to to make a description that is based on the use of the musical theory one is involved in the problem of 'language'. If you don't understand the terminology you will be at a disadvantage when you enter upon such a discussion.

One of the main reasons that we use the terminology that we do, is because music theory has evolved a method of describing stuff that
works. Trying to re-say this musical stuff in non-musical terms will tend to become involved and at times confusing.

Taking some time out to sort out a better understanding with the help of a music teacher will always be money and time well spent.

yours David