Subject: [Harp-L] harp as stroke therapy

Hi Robert:

There are several people connected with Spah who have been working with
patients in hospitals for years already ...using harmonicas to improve lung
function, which many pulmonologists seem to have embraced since harmonicas
are  the only instrument one uses to breathe both in and out...and is a lot
more  interesting and fun for the user than the medical equipment normally
used. Terry  Rand (a Spah supporter) is one of the people behind this idea.
They've held  Seminars and published articles in Harmonica Happenings. Here's a
link with some  info:

http://www.randfinancialadvisors.com/ITN-NDN2006.html

In rereading it, it turns out that there is a connection to a stroke victim
 - something I hadn't known before. So it's definitely on the same track as
you.  Mr.Rand later began working with Dr.Victor Yun

_http://events.stanford.edu/events/207/20763/_
(http://events.stanford.edu/events/207/20763/)

and they established an actual 'Harmonica for Health Committee' at  Spah.

Another player with major involvement is Buddy Wakefield.

...here are a couple of links including discussion of him in an  interview
with Hohner, along with mentions of some of our  favourite harmonica people
- many of them personal friends of  some here:<G>

_http://www.musicafter50.com/2009/08/harmonica-is-good-cheap-fun/_
(http://www.musicafter50.com/2009/08/harmonica-is-good-cheap-fun/)

_http://www.lifebridgeblogs.org/category/respiratory-therapy/_
(http://www.lifebridgeblogs.org/category/respiratory-therapy/)

Vinny Cupo, a member of the Garden State Harmonica Club has spent  several
years, a lot of his own money, and much time drumming up funds from  others
to help him buy harmonicas to give out to kids as he makes the rounds of
children's wards at local hospitals. I believe his approach is more for the
emotional solace it provides to kids with cancer or other very serious
illnesses. He gave an impromptu but very moving talk about it during a GSHC  Open
Mic Session this past November.

As far as I know none of these people post on, read or have any connection
to harp-l so you might wish to try to connect to them through Spah itself
or  Harmonica Happenings, the Spah publication.

All of you have one main thing in common: complete selflessness and
thinking outside the box when it comes to harmonicas. If this isn't Advancing  the
harmonica while also doing a heckuva lot of good, I don't know what would
be.

Best regards,

Elizabeth

Message: 7