Re: [Harp-L] Hering 1923 Vintage Harps

For my 2 cents, the 1923 isn't a bad harmonica.  It is pretty and has good
features.  However, they don't seem to like me.  Of all of the harmonica
models I have ever tried, they have died on me the fastest.  Most harmonicas
last at least a year for me.  Many last for many years.  These die within a
couple of months, and I have never quite resolved why.

Being a bluegrass player (melody and position/mode oriented), I was never
that fond of the tuning either (the flat 5), but I wanted to give it a fair
trial anyway.  To me, the tuning with the flat 5 hole was stronger (worse)
than any of my 1970's Marine Bands ever were.  The 1923 was the first
harmonica I had ever played that sounded that "out" to me right out of the
box (by design).  However, many people really like it and they loved the
instrument as a whole.  It is not a bad harmonica.  It just isn't one that I
need to be playing.

Cara Cooke
http://harmonica2.tripod.com
http://manchacaallstars.tripod.com