From: John Kerkhoven <solo_danswer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, May 17, 2011 7:38:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] breathing from the throat

I think Todd Allen is referring to Filisko talking about the kind of playing
required for low-tuned harps. I don't remember if Filisko called it "breathing
from the throat" or something else.

I would say that breathing for good harp playing is from the diaphragm. But an
important part of the breath control -- the airflow control -- is going on in
the back of the mouth and in the throat. Gotta get those muscles working,
including tongue muscles.

Related to throat vibrato for sure.

Listen to James Cotton "Deep in the blues", on Verve.

John