Re: [Harp-L] leaving space in a solo

I went to Dave Barrett's Masterclass a few years ago. He taught something called "Chorus Forms". It's a way of constructing solos measure by measure. I found that learning Chorus Forms REALLY helped me learn how to build solos. That's exactly what it sounds like Jim is doing here....Brad

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mick Zaklan" <mzaklan@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 05:14
Subject: [Harp-L] leaving space in a solo

Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but nevertheless a nice example of
using space in a solo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io0jZGmB3Jo&feature=related. It takes a lot
of guts and/or restraint to play like this. It definitely requires parking
your ego. Most guys would probably use more notes in their background
riffing than the soloist uses in his solo here. But this particular player
(Jim Liban) has always had a Count Basie-ish, economical streak in
his improvisation.
A few things about Jim. He is one of the few major blues players who
prefers using a conventional mic to a bullet. He started out as a drummer
and his harp playing is always firmly locked into the rhythm section and
often enhances it. And, though he enjoys Little Walter, his playing is
probably more indebted to Jr. Wells and Jimmy Reed.

Mick Zaklan