[Harp-L] Re: Are there pro harp players who do not know theory?

I say do what your heart tells you to do.   Personally, I did nothing but music for 20 years, was a hohner endorsee, played/lived with many of the blues and rock greats. Does that make me a Pro?  By todays standards I have no idea.  How much theory do I know?  None.  I learn by ear.  I love to discover things and to put my mind to thinking with music is an instant turn off.   I have been spontaneously creatng my words and music for 50 years.  I reecord at least a cd worth of music a day in my studio. I guess I am all about improv.  I don't play out much anymore because I am no longer inspired to promote my concept of music and no one has come forward to take over doing it.  Also the club scene I grew up in is basically dead and  I have no interest in playing gigs where the music is used as  backround  "ambience".  I dig interactive.  I miss the old black blues clubs and white dedicated music clubs that use to go wild when you played
 from the heart.

  When I play with others they have to figure out where I am going.  I change chords, tempos as it hits me.  To be boxed into a thinking, preconcieved thing is of no interest to me. I would rather bag groceries than play such music.    I have figured out what harps, guitar, and keyboard, notes go together through pure discovery.  I learned from guys like wilbert harrison, lightning hopkins, lousiana red, sonny terry.  Never once was theory discussed.  If you couldn't figure out what they were doing you weren't ready for their level yet.   They never charged for their teaching.   Their teaching was beyond notes.  It was a lifestyle, culture, tradition,  that was passed down the same way for generations.   I carry this tradition on.

I have no interest in learning via lessons or expanding my musical vocabulary any faster than it wants to expand naturally.  I see a ton of guys playing today with great technical skills but no reconizable style.  You can tell the ones that have learned off the stage, vs those that learned on the stage.   I am about owning your own style and my simple playing still amuses my spirit today as much as it did when I was just starting out.   I basically play the same stuff today I did 40 years ago, only thing being different is 40 years have passed since then.  Walter