[Harp-L] Quick Review of PT Gazell's "2 Days Out"

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk yet about this release. I ordered the CD off PT's website and it arrived just a few days later. http://www.ptgazell.com/2_Days_Out.html

I'm trying to make this a quick review so I'm not going to go into a song-by-song. There's not a bad song on here. The selection of material is great. There are several tunes I knew, several I'd never heard of, some I had forgotten, and at least one by a Mr. Stevland Morris that I didn't realize I knew (and not even a smiley face on the CD jacket :-) ).

The instrumentation is also great. I love the combination of trombone (often muted) and flugelhorn with the harp. Very smooth.

As far as the harp playing is concerned, I don't have much to add to the copy on the webpage above. It's all true. To a non-harp aficionado, I think it would sound like "very good harp." To a harp aficionado, it's clear that it's valved diatonic as opposed to chromatic or normal diatonic. You can hear the nuances of the different bends and I like that you can still hear some of the "valve flap". Like guitar fret noise, I think it actually adds to the performance.

If I had to reduce this CD to a single word (way too late, I know), I would call it "refined".

This was my first listen to PT, but I definitely plan on getting his back catalog soon.

Jim