[Harp-L] Re: Theory, - Kenny Baker and Bill Monroe

David Payne wrote:
>If you wanted to be a Bluegrass Boy, you had to know theory (which I'm sure Baker did) AND
>instantly apply it.

Bob Fowler, who played guitar with Monroe, told me something that stuck with me. He said that Baker and Monroe came to the conclusion that the flatted third, the "blue note", had been so overused that it wasn't all that blue anymore, and that using the major third where you'd expect to hear a flatted third was actually bluer and more powerful.

That's sophisticated as hell, and you hear how true it is on the records they made.

A perfect use of music theory to find new musical expression.