Re: [Harp-L] manji quality ??

Not just blues musicians, when it comes to gig pay. As to harps, getting customs was was one of the smartest things I've done. They rarely need any work done on them.

Bullfrog
----- Original Message ----- From: "david robbins" <drobbins5658@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 12:15 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] manji quality ??

Well, I finally tried a manji. I have come to the conclusion that Mr Manji put his name on that harp just for marketing purposes and to make money. It's not that he feels so strongly about it being a fantastic harp. That's just pure bunk. It's not bad, but certainly no better than stock LO's,MB's, or GM's. It's just a matter of taste.
I think it's very unfortunate and an embarrassment, that the public can't get a "ready to gig" quality stock, outta the box instrument for 35-45 dollars.
Unless you are really good at working on your own harps, you are going to have to spend even more money paying someone to make an already overpriced harmonica play at its full capability. Or you can send the harp back to the manufacturer, and if are really lucky, you'll get it back in a playable state.
I have not tried a seydel yet, so I may hesitantly try one.
Within the next year or two, with our current govt's "backward, non-business friendly, pro recession, pro inflation " type way of doing things, you can be sure that the prices for these terrible sounding stock harps will rise at least another 25 to 50%.
Not to mention the extremely low pay that all gigging Blues musicians are getting paid these days. Most Blues musicians was making more money per gig 20 years ago and things cost half as much!