Re: [Harp-L] Comb Design

The design of the weight assembly anticipated your objection.

No "mass was added to the combs."   An external weight was attached to the harmonica so that brass combs could not be detected by the overall heft of the instrument. The weight assembly was held by the cover screws and did not even touch the comb. The acoustical properties of the comb, if any, were not affected.

The brackets that attached the weight were much more flexible and could constrain any possible comb vibration very much less that the reedplates and covers. The reedplates, in particular, are much stiffer and are screwed to the comb.  The constraint and damping of the reedplates and covers make it unlikely that the comb of a harp can vibrate in any significant way.

Vern