Re: [Harp-L] Re: Theory, - Kenny Baker and Bill Monroe

At 11:50 AM 5/22/2011, Vern wrote:
I thought that the flatted seventh is the "blue note" and the flatted third occurs in the minor scale.
When you play a G scale cross-harp on a C harmonica, isn't the F-natural the "blue note"?

Not the way I learned it, but that doesn't mean I learned correctly.

The blue note is a sort of 'flatted' third, as opposed to the minor third, which is the note between the third and the second.

And as with many other details, the actual intonation of this flatted third varies with the player. But not flatting that third just when you'd expect to hear it flatted is a very compelling sound in the hands of masters like Baker and Monroe.