[Harp-L] positions and tunings from the beginning

The Duke of Wail postulates:

1. When should a student of harmonica be introduced to position playing? (1-5, 12) Why? 2. When should a student be introduced to alternate tunings? Why?

I have a definite and strongly held opinion as to question #1. Answer: IMMEDIATELY. None of these positions is any more advanced than another (except that a player can get away with undisciplined random bending in second position more easily than in the others).

IMHO, All 6 positions should be taught simultaneously, but most published instructional materials stop at third position. If fourth, fifth and twelfth position are discussed at all it is usually in a very cursory manner, often combined with a false claim that they are "advanced" and "rarely used" which which is BS. Playing diatonic harp in different positions is nothing other than playing the instrument in different keys, which musicians who play most other instruments do all the time.

The breath pattern for the major pentatonic scale in second position is identical to the breath pattern for the minor pentatonic scale in fifth position, just starting on a different note. The major pentatonic scale in first position is the same breath pattern as the minor pentatonic scale in fourth position. And the breath pattern for the minor pentatonic scale in third position is the same as the major pentatonic scale in twelfth position. Learn/teach them simultaneously and the student quickly learns to understand the concept of relative minor keys and how to get around the instrument in a knowledgeable manner (what notes are found where). The player will also quickly learn to understand modes since each of the most commonly used positions relates to a particular mode.

All of this means that the student will quickly be able to handle all sorts of material that is not ordinarily played on diatonic harmonica. It also means that the player will be able to make better and more intelligent note choices from different scales on the same harp in order to play in a generally more musical manner or can intelligently use two harps on the same tune to be able to get all necessary notes to play a particular piece (for example. 'So What"). AND IT'S EASY TO DO. Except for the discipline needed to avoid random bending, it's certainly no harder to play in fifth than in second--same skill set. And it's actually easier for a beginner to play the blues scale in third than it is in second. Why all 6 positions are not commonly taught simultaneously is a mystery to me.

As far as alternate tunings are concerned, I've never used or even owned a diatonic harp with a tuning other than standard Richter tuning. Need to play harmonic minor? Use fourth position and and bend to 6D* or 3D*** for major 7 (you've got minor 3 and minor 6 without having to bend). Need to modulate between dorian minor and natural minor? use fifth position and play 4D* for major 6. NBD. I suppose if I had a regular gig with a band that played a tune that a specially tuned harp might wok particularly well on, I'd consider getting one. Also, spiral tuning looks very interesting and would probably be very versatile. I play first through fifth positions with reasonable proficiency and twelfth passably (well enough to use it if I need it). But i don't OB or use alternate tunings--although I do find spiral tuning intriguing.

Sugar Blue once said in an interview that using alternate tunings is cheating. I'm not sure i agree with that, but I've operated under the philosophy that I should master the six most commonly used positions first, and twelfth position is still something of a work in progress for me.

FWIW.

JP