[Harp-L] Harmonic minor in 4th position

Since we are on the subject of multiple positions, I had an interesting experience sitting in with a friend's band the other night. He played an original tune in B harmonic minor and gave me an extended solo. I used a D harp in 4th position.

I know how to play harmonic minor in 4th, but I'd never actually done it in live performance before. I thought it was going to be difficult because you need to drop (bend) 6D to 6D* and 3d** to 3D*** in order to get major seven. Wow! I discovered that one can really wail on those bends which gives playing harmonic minor in 4th a completely different feel than playing natural minor in 4th. And it's actually pretty easy to do.

i guess the moral of the story is that you never know what you really can do until you try it it live with a band. When I'm playing with other musicians I come up with all sorts of ideas and approaches that would never have occurred to me playing all by myself. Live and learn....

JP