[Harp-L] When positions & alternate tunings

Hi All,
When I give a complete beginner their first session I tend to use the tune 'Skip to my Lou' (in C on a C harp) to help them develop single note skills & I give them the phonetics "ka to kar to cutter, tick tar', breathing in on holes 1-4 on all of it except the tick. This I tell them is in G , on a C harp. As a point of information I tell them that those two things are in first & second position respectively. I also tell them not to worry about what that means and the we will come to an understanding of that as the tuition goes on.
later in their development I use the circle of fifths and associated theory to enplane the misnomer 'Positions'.

Personally I really enjoy altered tunings, with all respect to the views of Sugar Blue, you can't chugg the off-beat for Ska and Reggie in minor keys on a Richter tuned harp. I find that the different tunings will give rise to different areas of invention. For me it isn't about using them as an easy way of addressing a minor melody as I find the Richter tuned instrument can be played chromatically.

I find it akin to the idea that I love all my children but not all equally for the same things. I love each for them selves, so it is with the tunings
I love them for what they are of them selves.
Just my two penny's worth-ATB-David

--
D Priestley AKA Dr Midnight.
England's first  harmonica Guru.

Do feel free get in touch.
Harmonica lessons POA,(10 = 20% discount,&  20 = 25% discount).

I teach from: 51 Barkston Gdns, the basement flat&  On-Line,
Email me or call me to book lessons or get more info.

E-mail= dmharpman@xxxxxxxxx
Website= http://www.cognitionarts.com/
Phone=(44) 0207 373 0295