RE: [Harp-L] mixing brands

I keep my harps in those zippered black cordura cases available from
coast to coast.  Each case holds 7 harps and I generally have 5 of them
in my gig case: 2 sets of special 20's for primary and backup use,
another set of special 20's in oddball sharps & flats, one set of
golden melodies and a final set of odd's & end's harps--seydels, MB
deluxes, crossovers.  I've become so accustomed to the weight and feel
of special 20's that I rarely stray from them--I tweak them a bit myself
 and, increasingly, am playing harps which have been modified/enhanced
by a customizer.  I use the golden melodies for tunes which call for
either 1st or 3rd position playing--to my ear, equal temperament tuning
works better for 3rd position and I also like the feel of golden
melodies when doing higher register 1st position playing.  I also use
the golden melodies for jump blues or jazzy-sounding tunes, where I
anticipate wanting to play clean, fast runs and fewer chords.  The set
of special 20's in oddball keys, low keys, etc are available for special
 occasions and when an ornery guitarist calls out a less-commonly-used
key.   I've tried every make and model of diatonic and this equipment
arrangement is what seems to work best for me.

John

> From: hvyj@xxxxxxx
> Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 08:57:55 -0400
> To: robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Harp-L] mixing brands
>
> My performing set is all the same make and model of harp.  My spare
> set my be a different make and model, but it will be all the same
> different make and model.  I consider my instrument to be my set of
> harps and I include only the same make and model of harp in each
> set.  I don't mix and match unless a harp fails or jams on a gig and
> I need to use one from my spare set. (I always carry a spare set that
> includes a least the 8 most used keys.)
>
> JP

John D. Jochem, Psy.D.Clinical Psychologist

     977 Lakeview Parkway     Suite 102     Vernon Hills, IL     60061     Office:   (847) 680-0755     Fax:        (847) 573-1617
    www.hawthorncounseling.comContact Me