[Harp-L] Videos from the Wheeling Jamboree

It was some experience. The old Capitol Music Hall got condemned, so it's roving
now until they can build a new one and it was at the methodist church downtown.
That church - not the building - has been around since 1785. The aura of that
whole event is amazing, you walk in and they are showing all these old pics from
the Jamboree on the screen and people who played there, Brad Paisely and Grandpa
Jones pretty much launched their careers there. Johnny Cash even played it. All
that stuff really gets to you and makes you nervous, but proud to be a part of
it. The three of us just started playing together and we only had two days to
prepare a 40-minute set. It was actually our first show as a band and it was THE
Wheeling Jamboree. I was nervous!!!!
There's all kinds of cool traditions there, like the cow bells. Back in the day,
the Jamboree was for the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast what the Grand Ol' Opry was
in the South. Farmers rode in and brought their cowbells, which all sound
different. Folks back home could hear the familiar bell on the radio and know
their loved one made it to the jamboree.

In the WWVA preshow David got interviewed on the Wheeling Jamboree preshow on
WWVA. He said "my dads band is playing." interviewer asks which band? He says "I
don't know." it had never occurred to little David that it had a name, it was
just dad's band. My wife had to remind him, lol.

Here's some vids:
I'm so lonesome I could cry (B-radical key of A, 2nd position)
http://youtu.be/_Naq_O6wxec
Miner's Blues: (no harp, I'm singing)
http://youtu.be/9dzxVKIhOUc
Bluestone Mountain:(the 100 year old Seydel Bandmaster G, paddy Richter, 4th
position)
http://youtu.be/UYd3MaKONQU

David Payne
www.elkriverharmonicas.com