Re: Ultrasude (and Teflon) Windsaver (Valve) Sources [Was: [Harp-L] Thumb -PT Gazell]

I'm the originator and most vocal proponent of reedplate waxing.

Your concern about "toxins" is unwarranted for the following reasons:

1. The amount of wax remaining in the harp is minuscule.  A coating a few molecules thick is all that remains after polishing. If you can see any remaining wax, you have used far too much.
2. Although the wax in the can has an odor, none remains in the harmonica.
3. If the wax remaining in the harmonica were harmful, waxing your entire floor would be fatal.
4. Here is a description of the ingredients from the S.C, Johnson company.
http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/en-us/products-by-brand/sc-johnson/sc-johnson-paste-wax.aspx
5. The wax does not even come into contact with the mouth.
6. The deodorized naptha used to keep the wax pasty has all evaporated when you use the harp.

Carnauba wax is used for floors and auto bodies.  It can be polished away leaving behind a thin, hard, un-wettable coating.  Bee's, paraffin, and other soft waxes do not have those same properties.

I will continue to use Johnson's floor wax on my reedplates to make them un-wettable where the valves touch.  I am confident that this is an effective way to suppress sticking and popping and that it will not harm me in the slightest..

Vern