[Harp-L] Blind leading the blind

Attitudes towards disability and the Harmonica in the U.K. are revealed in the case of Tony M.

Tony M is a 'special needs' disabled student of mine. His case shows how European attitudes (maybe world attitudes) to the Harmonica, still show folk as thinking of the Harmonica as being some sort of toy.

Tony is a slide chromatic player in his early twenties. He is nearly blind in his only eye. His goal in life is to become a professional Harmonica player.

Tony, though blind, doesn't see himself as being disabled. He reports that it is the attitudes of others that he finds more disabling than being unsighted. His current aim is to get the funding and the music grades that would enable his vision to study music at the Guildhall School of Music.

For example he had an application for funding returned to him because he didn't tell them what musical instrument he played. He had clearly stated in his application that he played 'the chromatic Harmonica'.

Music grades, in the U.K. are the creation of the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, which is the world's leading music exam board. Their system of ‘Grades’ in instrumental, Jazz and theory sections are recognized globally.

They have special instrumental sections for most instruments, including the Saxophone. The Saxophone is comparable to the Harmonica, as they are both modern wind instruments. They both share roughly the same compass, chromasticity and age.

As far as 'exotic' instruments go, the Guildhall even has a course with special exams for the Lute, but nothing for the harmonica.

Yet the Harmonica out-sells every other instrument on the planet. It is the peoples instrument of China and is the only instrument to have been played in outer-space and it is comparable to but more versatile than the Sax or Flute. Some folk have even heard of it ...

“Didn’t Larry what’s-his-name play one of those?”

His conversations with funding bodies go along the lines of:

“So you want to study at the Guildhall, what instrument do you play?”

“The Harmonica”

“er... yes but what instrument do you play”

and so on.

I can understand it when folk say that sometimes we, the Harmonica community, seem to get hung-up on the “recognize it as a valid instrument” issue, but those very attitudes are turning my blind student into a disabled student.

Tony is getting his Mac back from the menders at the end of the week and I will gladly pass on his contact details to any who would like to talk with him directly to hear more of his extraordinary story.

He is currently studying creative writing, as he can’t get funding to study music, playing the harmonica. He wants to get another book published. He published his first book in his early teens.

He is a fine fellow and his story is one of great courage and persistence, in the face of blind stupidity by those who ought to know better.

Yours David

-

D Priestley AKA Dr Midnight.
England's first  harmonica Guru.

Do feel free get in touch.
Harmonica lessons POA,(10 = 20% discount,&  20 = 25% discount).

I teach from: 51 Barkston Gdns, the basement flat&  On-Line,
Email me or call me to book lessons or get more info.

E-mail= dmharpman@xxxxxxxxx
Website= http://www.cognitionarts.com/
Phone=(44) 0207 373 0295