Re: [Harp-L] Favorite Mic

Shure SM-58 or   SM-57?
Well.... I have owned both.... And FOR MY SOUND the SM-58 is much better.
The SM-57 distorts more, at least to my ears... And it seems much less
responsive.... It's great for amping drums.. But IMHO... Not harmonicas... But
"Your Mileage Might Vary". Perhaps my one was a "Friday afternoon"  example?
The "57" DOES give a more overdriven sound to the harmonica, but if  one
requires that, a Green Bullet or Astatic JT-30 (for me) is a much better
bet...
But... Just like the late Duchess of Windsor said "You can never be  too
rich, or too thin"... I believe a harmonica player can "Never have too many
microphones or amplifiers" <Grin>
Just now, I have only a few mics, a Crystal Balls Jt-30, An SM58 (The SM57
vanished when I re-located overseas...) Last month, I bought  an Audix
Firebird V... (Haven't used it much yet.... Will report in due  time!) And I
have recently bought a new  $1.50 US Dollar Chinese "Dynamic  mic" (One English
Pound from "The Pound Shop")
The "Pound Shop" mic sounds great... But just like many other REALLY CHEAP
microphones that I have bought, I expect that will fall to bits (probably)
very soon.
John "Whiteboy" Walden...
For now... In England.
_http://johnwalden.freevar.com_ (http://johnwalden.freevar.com)