[Harp-L] chromatic and diatonic

   I wouldn't foist my learning methods on anyone, but I basically use the
chromatic to understand the diatonic.  And vice-versa.  It's a symbiotic
relationship.  Once you learn a few simple phrases or scales and run them
through all 12 keys, you eventually can transpose without even thinking
about it.  Then take that knowledge back to the diatonic and it'll give
your position playing a real boost.  Slim makes a good point about chords,
though.  I own the Dizzy Gillespie autobiography and his insistence on horn
players learning the piano is a constant theme in the book.   I
stopped studying with Howard Levy in the 80's because the sessions were
becoming piano lessons instead of harmonica lessons.  I'm sorry I did that,
today I have basically no knowledge of chords.

Mick Zaklan