[Harp-L] Re: Comb thickness in diatonic harmonicas

Jim wrote:
A quick comparison of a Hohner Crossover and Manji reveals a
substantial difference in comb thickness (vertical dimension) with the
Manji comb thicker by about the thickness of a reed plate.
Custom replacement combs for S20 from different sources also differ in
thickness by about the same amount.

HOW DOES COMB THICKNESS AFFECT SOUND, RESPONSIVENESS, EASE OF BENDING
AND OVERBLOWING???

Steve comments:
Preferences seem to differ on this. Some custom comb builders make their combs for Hohner models thicker than the originals, but my experience hasn't necessarily shown that to be an advantage. The only time I recall testing anything like this (a long time ago), we measured the overtone spectrum using 2 different comb thicknesses on the same reedplates. When using a comb slightly thinner than the MB/ MBDL/Crossover standard I remember finding that the sound was slightly darker: The overtone fractions were a little weaker and the fundamental a little stronger. In this case I don't recall any particular differences in the other points you mention. Personally I didn't really like the thicker combs I've tried, they mess up my embouchure and I found they made controlled bends and OBs more difficult for me, but this could be just because of my being used to the "standard" thickness. I prefer sealed Marine Band combs as used on the Deluxe & Crossover both from the point of view of playability and of playing feel.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.european-blues-masterclass.com
www.harmonica-masters.de