Re: [Harp-L] MAGNIFICATION for Reed Work

Most of the reeds that I have measured taper in width toward the tip. Also when viewed against a backlight, the clearance between reed and slot appears to be less near the rivet.

I have a theory as to why:

The assembler pushes the entire length of the reed deeply into the slot as she sets the rivet.  The wider section near the rivet can touch the sides of the slot to guide/center the reed.  The tapered tip makes certain that the vibrating tip cannot touch the slot.  Because of its smaller displacement, the wider portion near the rivet does not enter the slot as it vibrates, making its centering less critical.

Otherwise, how can an assembler so quickly center reeds with her bare hands?

See    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTs2rMfUSDc&feature=related    at 1:20

Vern