Re: [Harp-L] Bell Metal reeds

The words "bell metal" have a nice "ring" that may help sell harmonicas.

If you want to hear the sound that emanates from a reed as from a bell, just pluck it.  When the harp is played the weak little "plink" is completely swamped by the much louder "siren" sound of the chopped air.

For this reason, you are correct that the metal doesn't perceptibly affect the sound.

This type of bronze might be marginally more robust than some other commonly-used metals.  The weight of the reeds is so small, there is no metal-cost reason for any manufacturer to use any but the best copper alloy.

I think that stainless steel is the moist robust.  It is more expensive not because the metal costs more but because it is more difficult to machine and causes greater wear of the cutting tools.

Vern