[Harp-L] Re: Circle of Fifths or Circle of Fourths?

I usually don't comment on tech/theory stuff, others on the list are way more knowledgable. I have a mental block or deficiency in this area. That said, probably because of this, I keep my harmonicas lined up in the circle of fourths/circle of fifths in my case. Fourths–right to left becomes fifths left to right.

I usually cheat, using Minor tuned harmonicas (lined up the same way), but if one of these are missing or not right, flat/broken keys or something else wrong, I can easily use modes and the little theory that stuck in my head from these posts by keeping the harmonicas lined up in this order. 1st position, 2nd, 3rd ... go right down the circle of 4ths line, bam! The less I have to think the better!

While on a more theoretical discussion, here's a pet peeve to rant about: when discussing the key a song may be in I cringe when non-harmonica players try to figure out second position for me, saying they are in "A" but I am in "D," or worse, saying the crossed - 2nd position key is the song's key. In my logic, I am in "A" is the song is in "A", or A minor, or whatever everyone else is playing in. We are all playing in the same key. I may use a harmonica labeled in whatever key I choose to accomplish this, but we are all playing in the same key, period. After I explain this they just tell me the key of the song, or allow me to hear it, I pick a harmonica to accomplish what I feel the song needs and life is (usually) good.

In conclusion, like so many of life's mysteries: Love, Thanksgiving stuffing, being in a band, playing harmonica – this is not "THE" way to do things, but a way to do things. I found keeping my harmonicas in this order makes my mental life easier so I can just play.

Enjoy,

Clay

----------
Find most of  my Music, Designs, Photography, Ropes  Course information at
http://www.tostmusic.com
http://www.claygoldstein.com

Music:
http://www.tostmusic.com/harmonica
http://www.tostmusic.com/songs

Visuals:
http://www.tostmusic.com/visualDesign/index.html
http://www.tostmusic.com/photography/index.html
You Tube: A Toy Soldier's Story" - http://youtu.be/0z9JqS1PU6I
Harmonica Serenade: http://www.tostmusic.com/harmonicaserenade/
onesock.com: http://www.tostmusic.com/onesock/index.html

Experiential Learning  — Ropes/Challenge Programs
What is it?    http://www.tostmusic.com/images/experientialBrochure.pdf
Florida:
Team Solutions, Florida: http://www.teamsolutionsfla.com
Florida International University: http://trac.fiu.edu/
Florida Atlantic University (Go Owls) - http://wise.fau.edu/ropes/
Missouri:
The Leadership Ranch: http://www.leadershipranch.com
Contact me for other Experiential Learning and Ropes Course options around the USA.

Clayton Goldstein
(417)894-4434