RE: [Harp-L] Circle of Fifths or Circle of Fourths?

I do not disagree. As I stated, my approach in rather unorthodox. Case in point:

Little Wing on a C harp in the key of Em. Well, I know that Em is the relative minor to the key of Gmaj or the 6m. Therefore one can use a C harp but the tonal center (Em) is 5 hole blow. I do not think about this as being 5th position. I pick a harp where the E note is positioned on a harp tone/voice that will be pleasing to my ear as in not too high in pitch or not too low. I prefer the lower voicing because it is less squeaky or squawky and will allow a good range in the scale for variation on voicings for the chord progression.

If the song is in C, I might choose an F harp because of the tonal center being C which puts my C note in #2 draw (2nd position) but if the song lends itself to playing a minor over the major chord progression I might switch to a Bb harp which then puts my tonal center in #1 draw (third position dorian) for a section of the song. Thus the circle of 4ths. I dont think positions, I just know from experience that one can play in many modes on one harp. I base my choices on tonal centers an voicings and possibilities based on what the song is.

If the song is in Am, I might use a D harp which puts my tonal center in #2 blow aeolian mode (4th position). It just depends on the song.

When I am handed sheet music and the key signature (number sharps or flats) is always stated as the major. But one has to look at the music notes and chords being stated and determine the tonal center and the leading voice notes which might be a minor mode or another mode. Then I select my harp based on those things.

Also, I use the Nashville Number System whenever possible for ease of transposing. In this way I do not have to memorize each letter note on each harp key.

I actually got a copy of the circular diagram from you and found it very informative and useful. However, in real time performances on the stage if I had to rely on this chart, by the time I looked at the chart and figured out what harp to use, the band would be well into the 2nd verse of the song and I would look like a rookie and that is jsut because I do not like to have to rely on printed visual aids to determine what harp to use with the exception of sheet music (but that's not a harp key chart). I suppose if one got used to using the diagram they could pull it off without taking up too much time. I think it is a good teaching tool, too. Dont get me wrong, I think your chart is very clever.

I look at the 7 modes in 3 groups:

Major, minor and mixolydian...then I determine which harp to use whithout having to use a harp key / song key chart.

I feel sure that you know all this already but have written out a couple of examples for other reader's benifit.

I still wonder if anyone out there "thinks" like I do. Old habits are hard to break.

Best regards,
Buck