Re: [Harp-L] Bending Stress in reeds (was Manji Reed Quality)

Correct Arthur. See my recent post to this same post of Vern's. I was avoiding mentioning 'overblows'.
A single reed can be flattened a long way, but if it's pitch comes close to the 'reverse' pitch of it's pair, then the paired reed will take over. The D (drawn) note on hole 1 of a C harp will pull down towards the  pitch of the C 'blow' reed, which already is moving in sympathy with the air and the overtones of the higher reed. When the D is flattened close to Dd, the drawn pitch of the blow takes over. 'Overblowing' is no different to 'conventional' bending. It's just harder because you can't go to it gradually (which is in part why 'overblowers' like it too)
I sometimes show my students a bicycle horn, with it's single reed which is both blown and drawn to produce the two pitches.
Still the question remains:Why is it so?
RD

>>> Arthur Jennings <timeistight@xxxxxxxxx> 23/11/11 9:42 PM >>>
I think Rick is asking about overblows.

If you overblow hole six on a C harp, the blow eed chokes and the draw reed
sounds, but it produces a note (Bb) one semitone higher than it does when
you sound it by drawing. Why is that?

--
Arthur Jennings
http://www.timeistight.com