Re: [Harp-L] Blow Bends

Start with the lowest diatonic you own, for example a G harp.  When
you can control the high notes, go on to an Ab harp, then an A harp,
etc.

Use a small canary kiss embouchure if puckering or U blocking.  Use a
two hole spread, one hole blocked on the left if tongue blocking.

Use pressure on the upper lip.  Some use the center of the lip, others
the two sides around the center, as if you had vampire teeth.

Do not puff out your cheeks.  Keep them stiff.

Aim your air down to the floor of your mouth, not to the harp.  Think
like a flute player.

If puckering, place the tip of your tongue on the back of your bottom
teeth.  If the teeth were ten feet tall, place the tip 9 feet high.
As you bend, push the top front of your tongue against the teeth.  Arc
the back of your tongue higher.

If U blocking, you do not need to curl your tongue to bend.  Center
the tip of your tongue under the desired hole.
Place the tip on the bottom cover plate, underneath the hole.  To
bend, push the tongue front of your tongue against the bottom half of
the hole.  Arc the back of your tongue higher.

It is my belief that U blocking is the most advantageous way to high
note blow bend.  Often I have this conversation with my students:

"Try U blocking"
"No, that's uncomfortable.  That's not for me, I am a pucker player."
"Give it a few months of practice before you decide."

Three months later:

"How's your high note blow bends?"
"Terrible."
"You should try U blocking."
"No, that's uncomfortable, I am a pucker player."

One year later, the same conversation.

But there is another kind of student.

Three months later:

"How's your high note blow bends?"
"Great!"  Plays a Jimmy Reed style song.
"Wow!  What are you doing right?"
"I am U blocking like you said.  I1t was uncomfortable for 3 days,
then it kicked in!"

I have seen it many times.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com