[Harp-L] Michael Polesky

News of Michael's passing is hard news indeed.

The man was too young, too talented and too bright of soul. My deepest condolences to his wife and family.

I was never super close with him, but whenever we spoke he always made me feel like we were really good friends who simply hadn't seen each other in a while. People with that ability are rare in this world, and too few.

One of the stories posted earlier reminded me how I met Michael. He had helped me via e-mail a few times with the protocol of Harp-L and urged me to attend SPAH as there would be a Harp-L gathering there where I could meet some of the regular posters. I had never attended a SPAH, but in 2000 I came to Michigan for the event, not knowing what to expect. Michael introduced himself and somehow made me feel like I was a member of his family. He put me at ease, pointed out some of the hot-shot harp players and introduced me to several Harp-L posters. When I heard him play at the jazz jam I was amazed as his precise yet fluid style.

At a later SPAH event (I forget which) he came and sat by me at the blues jam. I said, "Hey Michael, you're a jazz guy, what are you doing here?" He gave me that quirky grin of his and said.... "I"m slumming, of course." We laughed, and he admitted that he loved to play blues. He played magnificently, bringing his cool jazzy chromatic chops to the party, upping the bar considerably whenever he took a turn.

He always encouraged me to sit in at the jazz jam (I know a couple of tunes), but I never did as that crowd plays so far over my head. I think now that he's gone I will have to, just to honor his memory. I know one thing for sure. SPAH won't be the same without him.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.