[Harp-L] "need a new blues for a new era" ?

"Need a new blues for a new era"? Nah. That's only one opinion. My opinion is "quality never gets old or outdated". 'Cause when I hear Kim's "tiger man" cd, that's the furthest thing from my mind. I have yet to hear anyone outplay Kim.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Isaac Ullah" <iiullah@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2011 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Gussow in Princeton Alumni Weekly

The Iceman quoteth: "If blues was to really evolve and sound more modern, wouldn't it start to mix in drum machines, beat box rhythms, synthesizers and everything else that has evolved in the music world since the 1950s?"

In a word, YES. And if you've got your ear to the ground, you'll hear that coming (Son of Dave, Dave Fergeson, Brandon Bailey anyone?). Maybe Adam's own playing doesn't incorporate all that, but he's a proponent of moving things forward. Who's the biggest selling Blues act right now? I'd argue that it's the Black Keys. "Wait!" you say, "the Black Keys ain's BLUES!". Well, maybe they ain't YOUR blues, but they sure are the blues, and they are selling out arenas. I think Adams point was not to criticize those three players talents or abilities (I've heard him praise them on MANY occasion), but to point out that we need a new Blues for a new era. The Blues evolves or it is relegated to "period" music with a devoted, but SMALL following. Do you want the Blues to go the way of 17th century English chamber music? I sure don't.

~Isaac