Re: [Harp-L] Re: Gussow in Princeton Alumni Weekly

Mike, you are right... I have not been on Gussow's forum for a long time.
 The incident I referred to happened around the time of the great OB
argument I started there a couple years ago.  There was a group of young
players who were like, "If Little Walter were alive today he would crap his
pants"  (because they believed he could not play over-blow notes). There was
a considerable amount of agreement with this, and I thought it was absurd.

BTW, I like Adam personally and I like the way he plays.  But on this one I
think he's a being a bit disingenuous.  I distinctly recall a post of his a
couple years ago where he was slamming Rick Estrin for being being too
chatty and funny in his shows... Adam said he thought it was disrespectful
of the blues culture, or something like that, and he said Estrin was his
least favorite player to see live.  Now, Adam is saying he learned 20 years
ago to not say negative things about Estrin.  I think Adam does indeed have
a lingering animosity toward Rick Estrin.

I also believe the quotes about Estrin in the Princeton article are
accurate.  I work in politics, and blaming a journalist for misquoting you
for something you regret saying is the lamest of excuses.  It is the job of
a good journalist to get you to say controversial things, and pro
journalists are diligent with accuracy.  I think Adam just screwed up and
now he's thrashing around for an excuse. It happens all the time,
particularly with people who are loquacious like Adam.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog