[Harp-L] Is Live Blues Dying Out?

The Denver metro area has about 3 million people and a pretty strong blues
scene.  There are several blues clubs, such as Ziggies, The Outlook in
Boulder, Lincoln's Roadhouse, and the Zephyr Lounge.  I can think of three
blues clubs that closed their doors over the last couple of years.

There are several clubs that regularly book blues acts (such as El
Chapultepec, Caldonia's, and others) and there are scads of "biker" clubs
where bookings can be found from time to time.  There is a core group of
blues bands that work regularly:  Lionel Young, Erik Boa & the Constrictors,
Al Chesis & The Dellta Sonics, Catfish Kray, Cedar Avenue Blues Band, Eef
and the Blues Express, The Blues Allstars, and a few others.  In our recent
IBC competiton there were about 30 bands and eight solo/duo acts.

BUT....  the fan numbers I posted earlier from Reverbnation are sobering.
 In Denver (and I think in most areas) blues bands have a tiny fraction of
the fans when compared to other genres.  Yes, that is partly (mostly?)
because of demographics...  Our fans may be less likely to click to our
sites on Myspace, Facebook, and Reverbnation.  If your fans are aging and
dying out, so is your music.

I sit on the board of directors of the Colorado Blues Society, where we have
a very strong Blues in the Schools program.  We give away about 1000 Hohner
harmonicas each year to students.  We are sponsoring a Youth Showcase
competition next week to select a young blues band to send the the IBC in
Memphis.

Plus, there are some outstanding young bands in the area, as I am sure there
are in other areas.  These bands need to be supported and nurtured.  Around
Denver we have Nic Clark and his band Another Kind of Majick. (They are
headed for Memphis; don't miss them!)  Also, Young Austin and No Difference,
Taylor Marvin and the Golden Boys, Emma Henry, Tomara Conrad, and others,
all under 21, most under 18.

The next Stevie Ray is already gigging in a kid band that flies mostly under
the radar.  The next icon who makes blues harp cool for a new generation of
players is already working hard. The best way to keep the blues alive is to
encourage and support these young players and their fans.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog