Re: [Harp-L] Love Me Do

On Oct 14, 2011, at 3:39 AM, Mikael Bäckman wrote:

> The Beatles: Love Me Do
>
> We´ve all heard it. I don't know about you, but I have never attempted to play it until just now, I have a student who wanted to learn it so I transcribed it for her.
>
> My question is: Is Lennon using a chromatic on this one? The intro works fine on a c-diatonic in 2:nd position but when the harp plays the bridge, he plays both F# and F. He is clearly not bending and the harp sounds like a chromatic. I always assumed that Lennon would play diatonic, but it seems I was wrong.
>
> Anyone know anything about this one?

My understanding is that he DID use a chromatic on the bridge. Maybe 10 years ago a chromatic came up for sale and it was purported to have been owned by Lennon. This was a surprise to most everyone. On the other hand, he could have been holding a country tuned. As I don't remember anyone using that tuning at that time except me, and it wasn't a 'known' tuning, it still doesn't negate the fact that someone couldn't have come up with it. This is why I always say that the tuning isn't new. It's probably been around a long time as was known to various people under various names. Like: 'trick', or 'show' or 'stage' tuning.
smo-joe