Re: [Harp-L] Blues jams

At the jam I host at Ziggies in Denver, I try to put together one "feature"
set per night, usually in the middle of the jam.  This is where I get up the
local legends or touring pros who drop in, and I put them up with deserving
regulars or with my band.  I may have to jumble the list to do this, but I
always talk to players who may get shifted to a later set to explain.  I
never get any flack about it. They may bitch to their buddies about it but
never to me.

My job as a jam host is 1) to make money for the the club, and 2) to put on
a good show. The local alternative weekly paper -- Westword, the definitive
voice on Denver's music scene -- named my jam the best in Denver.

That is not to say it's all good.  Last week the early sets were the worst
I've ever heard at a blues jam... seriously.  Things got way better when Dan
Treanor got up in the middle of the jam, and it finished strong with some
great performances.

Do blues jams turn people off toward the blues?  I don't think so.  People
learn right away who's good and who's not, and they adjust their
expectations.  I sense a spirit of support for beginners.  A buzz goes
through the room whenever a pro walks in.  For the most part, hosting this
jam is a blast.

Here is a link to a video of Ronnie Shellist and Todd "BuckWeed" Edmunds at
my jam a couple weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oKcv6JIOT8

--
-Rick Davis