Re: [Harp-L] country tuning songs -- Melody Maker

I agree--> I have been working a lot with Smokey Joe's Country Tuning, and
some Lee Oskar Melody Makers.  I have found that the raised blow in the 3rd
hole (on the Melody Maker) is more of a problem for me than a benefit.  Plus
I agree with John Kerkhoven, it is nice to have juicy draw bends on hole 3.
  Now on the other hand, I have placed wind savers on the the draw reeds in
holes 1-6 and am able to play some very nice chromatic passages with the
blow bends in the middle and lower holes.  So right now I am gathering harps
to rebuild, to tune up a set of harps with the raised 4th scale degree (draw
reed in both holes 5 and 9), and the addition of wind savers on the draw
reeds in holes 1-6.

Hank Williams--> As a matter of fact, I have been working out a medley of
Hank songs using the Smokey Joe Country Tuning playing (C harp / G 2nd
position) in a neck rack and strumming my electric baritone ukulele.  Its
nice... I can get real nice chromatic passages not otherwise attainable on a
standard tuned diatonic harp.

George