Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Ron Kalina

weeeeelll...not only at SPAH, Emile <G>

Don't overlook The Garden State Harmonica Festival which gets those very
same performers. We're a slightly smaller version of SPAH.

Last year Ron Kalina was a MAJOR presence at the Garden State Harmonica
Festival, not only onstage at the pre-fest Trumpets Jazz Blow-off, but running
 an extensive Seminar with a slew of great players such as Charles
Spranklin,  Phil Caltabellotta, Smokey Joe Leone, Enrico Granafei, etc. all
participating with Ron as 'grand master'.

This year Robert Bonfiglio is the Classical headliner on Saturday  night.

For Bob McGraw: I've been writing about Ron Kalina here (and on
Slidemeister) since I've long made it a habit to attend and videorecord his  jazz
seminars both at SPAH and the GSH Festival. He's someone I really dig -
especially since he plays keyboard AND chromatic - using left hand on the piano
and right hand to hold his 16-hole chromatic. I'm practicing playing that way
now too, and he also first turned me onto the use of an IPod to store and
practice my music about 5 years ago at SPAH. I'd no interest in buying one
before he showed me how his worked. In addition, one of my favourite pieces
to  play along with is Gato Barbieri's version of 'Europa' (which I have on
my  Ipod), so I'd love to hear how Ron plays it. I'll have to check out that
 CD.

This year's GSH Festival is shaping up to be yet another brilliant East
Coast musical party due to the hard work of Val Redler and Phil Caltabellotta
as  Co-Chairs of the Fest. Val's the GSHC President and has worked
incredibly hard  for the last 3 years to bring new people to the Club and Fest. It's
paid off in  a major way with really interesting and diverse performers
signing up.

 Check out: _www.gardenstateharmonicaclub.org_
(http://www.gardenstateharmonicaclub.org)   for the list of performers from Rob Paparozzi to Dennis
Gruenling to Jay Gaunt,  to Enrico Granafei and Phil. Check the website for the
rest. There's still time  to sign up. It's a new Hotel (less cost for those
staying over, including a free  hot breakfast). The atmosphere is similar to
SPAH: all harmonica, all the time  and since it's the first week in
November this year we hope it'll be a tad less  chilly and no worries about it
being too close to Thanksgiving. This hotel is  far friendlier and very
welcoming. It's going to be a fabulous 2011 GSHC  Festival if the recent 40th
Anniversary party held at Trumpets Jazz Club  (including a celebration of Stan
Harper's 90th birthday) is any indication.  He'll be there too. Hope you join
us.

Elizabeth

"Message: 10