Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Jerry Portnoy and Lee Sankey

On 10/25/2011 04:45 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:
Totally agree, John. Music is a complete auditory experience

this whole thread seems to be based on a misunderstanding. sankey's thesis is not that music is visual, vs. auditory. he says, rather, that the essence of what we do musically is based on a mental model that we build up. this is hardly controversial, since pretty much everything our mind does is based on elaborate mental models constructed and navigated by our thought processes. he says in his white paper that such models may be visual, or spatial, or something else entirely. the visual model he shows is a representation of one such model from his own head. i see no conflict between what he is talking about and what portnoy talks about. they seem orthoganal.

i'm looking forward to his book.  if nothing else, it should be
quite interesting to get the perspectives of many different
musicians on how they think about music.

-- We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give. - Kathy Moser