 From: The Iceman <icemanle@xxxxxxx>
To: ana.radzic@xxxxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Need help with Gary Primich songn "Vermint"

one way to describe this type of song is "crooked tune"

in other words, it does not follow the "Western Music" format that is mostly based on even number of measures for a song, but actually follows a specific melody that doesn't conform to this type of outline.

I first learned of this studying traditional old tyme tunes in which the melody may actually be only 11 bars long and then repeats. (sometimes even 11 1/2 measures).Threw me for a loop till I stopped feeling and thinking in 12 bar blocks.

Perhaps this is a throw back to music developed in the Rumanian hills - gypsy songs, folk tunes, etc, which just were pure melodies. Bela Bartok studied this music and wrote some pretty cool symphonic stuff based on it. Zoltan Kodaly was a contemporary of Bartok that also trecked into the hills to record this folk music.