Re: [Harp-L] Overblowing

Richard Hunter wrote:
Larry marks wrote:
<In 2nd position, it is not possible to play the minor 3rd of the I chord
<(note between 6D and 7D) or the major 3rd of the V chord (note between
<5D and 6B) without OBs or a valved harp.

On a standard-tuned harp, you mean... There are lots of ways to get the desired notes, and overblowing isn't the easiest. Retuning the harp is the easiest way to get the missing notes.
There are lots of alternate tunings that can produce missing notes (while eclipsing others.) Of course, powerbender is another matter entirely. Haven't learned it yet. I must take issue with you on two specifics, however.

1. I play primarily valved. Mr. Levy reminds me why I do. I don't find it any more difficult to play a valve-enabled bend than any other note. That includes the 2B bend (equivalent to 1OB).

2. It may be easy for you to retune, but I can slap 7 valves on a stock diatonic in well under 5 minutes.

I do have harps of various tunings, and I respect what they can do. I still remember the Jewish folk music that David Naiditch played for me on his harmonic minor. But for most of what I do - blues and jazz standards - a valved diatonic major played in 2nd position works just fine. When I pick some other tuning or mode, it's usually because I want some chords. Then, I select my harp based on the partial chords that will be available to me, not the notes I can play.

-LM