Re: [Harp-L] a bluegrass experience

Thank you for sharing this with us all, Bill.  (I am sharing it with the
bluegrass harmonica list, too, with this message.)

I am sincerely elated that you have stuck it out and that you are finally
seeing the bluegrass world more as I have learned it can be.  It takes a
lot of hard work on any instrument to play bluegrass well enough to get
that acceptance, and once you have put in the hours and work necessary,
as they have, they know you as one of them.  They can see where you have
been and know that you can hold up your end of the job.  You may even
surprise them once in a while, which is fun.

Bluegrassers can be some of the most giving and helpful people when they
understand where you are in your learning and will accept you as a beginner
when they can see you are; but harmonica is an odd fellow to the most
common stringed instruments, and few players, in their experience, ever
play it well enough to blend in and help out with the music.  Since
bluegrassers often don't know how to help a harmonica player, or even if
they can be helped, the instrument and its players get a reputation and,
eventually, as you said, snubbed.  If you think about it, it is a very
simple problem.  Learn the tunes -- especially note for note, playing the
melody, with tasteful embellishments -- and be a part of the team making
the music, rather than stand out (unless it is your break), and you can be
accepted by really good bluegrassers who will relish opportunities to see
what else you can do over time, just as they do with each other.  They
cooperatively compete to challenge each other to improve while making
beautiful, cohesive music, all for the love of the music they are playing.

It's funny:  They used to say that you cannot play the blues until you
experience the blues, and no other music is like that.  Bluegrass does have
a trial by fire -- and you are tried every time you play, which is the
point.  Welcome to a wonderful, musical world.

Now get back to your woodshedding....  You are on the uphill swing.

Cara Cooke

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 12:36 PM, JWilliam Thompson <landcommentary@xxxxxxxxx