[Harp-L] re: a bluegrass experience

Greetings.  I appreciate this bluegrass experience thread.

Aside from being able to nail & shred bluegrass or fiddle tune melodies note for note,
some of my favorite bluegrass harp players know when to play and when "not" to play.
The "less is more" approach.  And then when the harp does come back in, its much more
effective (and appreciated).

Ex. In backing up a vocalist (maybe harmonica silence, or simple chord chucks),
or when another instrument is soloing, and then in typical bluegrass style,
being able to step up and take an awesome solo when its your time to shine.

I've played in several bluegrass bands (5 string banjo), but always
kept a harp in a rack, locked, loaded, and ready.

An early inspiration for this style of playing for me
was Jonathan Edwards.

One of our bluegrass staples was a song he wrote, "Athens County", which has
guitar, bass, banjo, lead vocal, and nice harp solo that Edwards
plays on a rack in the middle break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3rJ6wBfBYc

"Don't Cry Blue" is another fun bluegrass /vocal/ harp tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPC708NYbCM

- Burke T.

Message: 6