[Harp-L] Benoit Felten's "Days of Wine and Roses" plus Comment from Vickders

To:  Harp-L & Benoit Felten

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Thanks, Benoit.  Very lovely rendition "Days of Wine and Roses" with bassist
Nicki Parrot and pianist Rossano Sportiello.

Allow me one small anecdote:  A few years ago vocalist Monica Mancini,
daughter of Henry Mancini who composed that song, was guest vocalist with
Pensacola (FL) Symphony.  It was my distinct pleasure to be guest host for
her and her drummer husband.  They were featured artists for the Symphony
and were going to celebrate the music of her father, Henry Mancini.  I am a
big fan of Johnny Mercer who collaborated with Mancini on Days of Wine and
Roses, Moon River and many others.

So, I asked Monica what Johnny Mercer was like.  She responded, "  Oh, he
was around the house a lot and I considered him just another of my father's
friends, so I didn't pay much attention!"  My inquiry didn't go further.

Here's a You Tube version of my performance on chromatic harmonica of Lulu's
Back in town with pianist Russ Kassoff, guitarist Howard Alden and violinist
Aaron Weinstein.  The occasion was Pensacola JazzFest a couple of years ago.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RxCKPusLW8

Thanks all.

Norman

> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:23:12 +0100

> From: Beno?t FELTEN <benoit.felten@xxxxxxxxx>

> Toni,

> I love that song.

> I had the unbelievable honor of playing it with Nicki Parrot on bass and

> Rossiano Sportiello on piano:

http://benoitfelten.tumblr.com/post/17374762377/the-days-of-wine-and-roses-b
enoit-felten-with

> My playing is pretty lame by jazz standards, but I count this as one of
the